Any Critique? Please NOTE Me
Oh! And please read carefully~!
RP Account --> c-entral
Country: Republic of Panama [República de Panamá]
Capital: Panama City
Language(s): Spanish (+English)
Birthday: November 3rd (Independence from Colombia)
Human Name: María Núñez Delmara (explained here)
Age: 19 (by appearance)
[Nation wise, Panama is 513 years old since discovery and 111 since independence]
Personality: Panama has a rather sunny and interesting personality. People don't often know of her but she certainty has a lot to share and talk about. As other Latin American countries, Panama is just as nice and friendly, and surprisingly loud as well. But she isn't obnoxious often. She has a very good sense of humor, because of this. Telling jokes and hearing them in return, whether its puns or stories, she loves a good laugh and how much it lifts a mood. A sassy, sarcastic type of teasing is another thing she's good at, however it's very well-natured and means well. She reflects a typical Panamanian woman; Professional and generally self-sufficient with personal business. Can be very motherly, sweet and attentive - she always listens to what someone has to say. Very passionate and openly express emotion to friends as well such as being the type to always greet with a lip-less kiss on the cheek. And of course fun, and enjoyable to be around. This is the side of her she shows most of the time: The funny type of young woman, who also tends to get silly (and sometimes immature, depending) at the age she is and how she's younger yet more modernized than so many other Latin countries.
This can be overlooked in her personality sometimes and others think she's shy and quiet merely because she doesn't tend to word herself well during meetings.Though in all truth, Panama loves to have fun and be out-going, she just needs the reason to be so, whether than reason is being with friends or at parties: which are another thing she loves. Panama is the party type, so she'll be out and about enjoying them and living like her type of young woman. Being the party type, however, doesn't affect how she is still modest and has dignity. She is comfortable on the beach and with others yet she likes to wear long skirts and clothing that doesn't reveal herself too much.
Even while she can be all those appealing things, she can have a sharp attitude towards other things that she doesn't like. Whether its the way she is treated or personality of the other, she can get wordy and mad. The good thing is that she knows how to calm herself easily. And so, to certain peoples who she doesn't like as much as kind neutrals or her friends, she can be rather bossy and unafraid to make the first move. That makes her a little biased. Even while she is a welcoming type, others who don't have the best history with her aren't in her major interest. Like a Panamanian women, she also tends to be the rather jealous type. Friends are exceptions to this, but even so, jealousy is a flaw in her. Another is that she can also be a pushover because of the reason that she doesn't word herself out to the world well enough. She gets dependent on others to help her out (considering she doesn't even have her own military). Panama is well cultured, she sticks to her own culture a lot and adores things from her country like nature and dances - though this can make her very prideful over things which make her so interesting (such as the Canal, diversity, etc).
She can also get easily embarrassed because her happy personality sometimes leads her to do things that embassy her later on, such as when she would start to lisp accidentally when speaking Spanish too quickly. Mostly her family can get her this way.
In all, she's a lot like a typical Panamanian: cheerful and optimistic, since Panamanians are some of the happiest people on the globe.
Her personality ranges widely but in all she is a girl with a sunny way of being and someone who comes across as welcoming and kind.
Appearance: María has long curly black hair that reaches up to her waistline (Which is common in Panama, yes. Black hair is the most common color and many women have very long beautiful hair to their waist if they don't cut it often - there is even a 2nd national hairstyle to be worn with the national dress because of this common factor with women and their long hair). She gained very thick and defined curls through Spanish and Colombian influence. Her bangs are split into an equal three which represent the three provincial-level indigenous regions in her country (Embera-Wounaan, Kuna Yala and Ngobe-Bugle). The strands that fall over her shoulders symbolize the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans which are on either side of the country Panama, connected by the canal (There was a geographical term -which i forgot, whoops- about area at a certain distance away from the country's land when going into water being considered part of that country unless it hits other land. When I say her strands over her shoulder symbolize the Pacific and Atlantic, I actually mean that term, not the whole oceans- since she doesn't posses it all). The curl at the top of her head is a 'turned' 'S' shape. That is the shape of her country (as seen on the mini map on the image) and represents her capital, Panama City (thus why it is the country shape, for the literal "Panama" in the capitals name).
Panama has a one of a kind echo system hosting some of the most diverse wildlife in the ENTIRE hemisphere and world which is what her bright emerald colored eyes represent (Read geography section to see why this is so important).
Her skin is tanned, showing the Latin heritage of the nation.
The dress she is wearing is a casual woman's dress for every-day life in Panama, a Pollera de Baila (minus the accessories/Tembleque). The blouse is called the Basquiña (household blouse), it's a white blouse worn by women to do their daily work- casual yet cultural and pretty. The materials are thin and light, good for the hot tropical climate of Panama.
Panama has no official military or military uniform, so she does not wear a military-based outfit (yet she does have uniforms from Independence, 1914-ish, WW2, and around 1988). Asides from her dress she can be found wearing pollera montuna and every day clothing like shorts/skirts and tank tops/t-shirts casually in the modern day ( fav.me/d7h3gp7 ).) She also likes to wear a hat called the panama, something her sibling Ecuador has given and named after her while still in a family relationship in Gran Colombia.
Panamanian's take hygiene seriously, so she is a very clean and well groomed young lady with more of a natural beauty rather than an artificial kind (makeup). She's quite short, height of 5"1 (154 cm) (average for a Panamanian woman).
- Body and Figure -
Panama's figure is not the curviest and flashiest figure in Latin America (unlike Colombia's). Her figure is more on the softer side yet cute and pretty in its own way without being rather outstanding. The curves are soft yet they are still distinct curves. She doesn't get high military training, so barely has any upper-body strength. She has narrow shoulders and not the strongest arms (yet throws a good punch because of being rather dominating in world boxing). Her tummy is not toned, its actually soft and you cannot see her hip bones. She doesn't have large breasts, they're average breast size in Panama therefore are at a B-cup. Its a pear shaped figure because her hips are wider than her shoulders. Her skin tone is called Dark Caramel, shes one of the more tanned Latin countries. Because of her massive love for sports (Panamanians are active and sporty, they're outside all the time) and the fact that she does boxing, baseball, basketball, soccer (even though its not her best its still popular) and other sports she enjoys to play, she therefore she has athletic and toned legs. Her thighs are slimmer than her hips, which are wider because she the only feminine stereotype about her that she has is a great butt (A+ booty). At her height, she also is rather petite.
She does indeed have scars; two, to be exact. The first is on her left shoulder blade at her back, a small burn mark which was form the Fall of Old Panama (a burning of Panama City that took place due to a pirate invasion in 1671 and the ruins still stand to this day and attract tourism). The second is at the back of her right arm, a cut-looking scar which was from the rebellion and war for independence against Colombia.
Geography Overview: Panama is a country on the isthmus connecting North and South America (so she’s Central America)with her Canal. She is surrounded by Colombia to the right and Costa Rica to the left. Panama has a one of a kind echo system hosting some of the most diverse wildlife in the entire hemisphere. Panama is said to have three times more biodiversity than the U.S.A, Canada and all of Europe combined. It's also home to the second largest rain forest in the Western Hemisphere… and it is located in Panama City. The capital is the only one in the world to boast a rain forest within the city limits! [key point to why she has the green eyes representing that]. She has many flowers, like her national flower being a rare orchid by the name of la flor de espiritu santo ("Holy spirit flower" in English, also called "dove orchid" because if you look inside of it it looks like a dove). Many animals go around the country, birds, lizards and butterflies (etc.); One aspect of Panama's natural habitat that make it so unique is its distinct location between the deserts of Northern Central American and the Rain Forests of South America. Due to this fact, it has animal species that cannot be found in any other place in the world, like the Panamanian Golden Frog and Giant Sloth. Panama also boasts 940 avian species, which is the largest number in Central America. 'Panama' in the native language means 'place of many fish' or 'place of many butterflies'. Her hot climates make her an excellent host for many creatures.
History of Panama
*READ* I have moved the history plus some fun facts to a sta.sh link because it took up too much space on this description. Now it may be read here >> sta.sh/0s511dicbsz
Fun Facts about Panama
*READ* Fun facts about the country can be found in this sta.sh link, as well; sta.sh/06uw1nl8r3u
(Small summaries - These are the main relations - If you would like some in depth I can tell you more information)
~ United States of America ~
- They go way back to the early 1800's while Panama was still a Colombian province with an alliance dating way back from 1840. Modern American influence is awfully high and Panama is the most industrialized Latin American country because of the mostly-American-made and famous Panama Canal. They had their Manuel Noriega conflict (and small bickering in 1900) but their relationship has a giant worldly impact (world trade, Panama is of vital importance to the US and the US is the primary partner in Panama's alliances - they're very special friends) and sometimes no one knows Panama better than America does.
~ Costa Rica~
- These two have been childhood friends back during Spanish colonization and often believed that because of their geographical close-ness, the native peoples influenced each other even earlier than times of the New World. They lost touch often yet their bond is still well maintained. While they have very positive relations, they bicker over the border all the time. Their history isn't the longest yet it is one of the smoothest flowing friendships they both have.
~ Taiwan ~
- While Panama had never had a sturdy friendship with Asia (mainly China, regardless of their big trade interaction they just don't get along), Taiwan had been an ally and supporter of Panama from the early 1900's. Their relationship is similar to the situation with Costa Rica, minus the border. Taiwan is Panama's 2nd largest trade partner and Panama is the first Latin country Taiwan ever signed an FTA with, and she was Taiwan's first Latin ally.
~ Israel ~
- Panama was one of the first countries to recognize Israel's independence. Since then, Panama has consistently voted with Israel, including voting against Palestinian Statehood. Panama’s Jewish community has also evolved and grown - As of 2010, the number was closer to “about 8,000,”. Jews are one of the highest ethnicities (while there are so many) in Panama and most of the time end up being wealthy business-owners. Their future seems even brighter than it is now.
- The Franco-Panamanian relations began during early times of the Panama Canal, which originally was a French project resulting in failure (before the US took over). Even while they were unsuccessful, the influence France left is decent, all the way down to cuisine. Panama is also France's major trade partner in Latin America. France helped with the Noriega conflict where the awful military general served a long time in French prisons after he did so in American jails. It has been staying casual for a while now.
- Their relations aren't as old yet they have been getting along very well. Brazil and Panama share similarities such as fiestas and bananas (lmao). They have the worlds most memorable carnival celebrations. During World War II, Brazil was a country who's services were brought to care for Panama's defense (ordered by the USA) and they have been friends since. They have a cultural agreement and have been improving in the field of friendship.
- Through Argentina, Italian influence has grown very high in Panama. Similarities exist such as the fact that both Italians and Panamanians 'talk with their hands', which many believe is a Panamanian aspect which originated from the Panamanian-Italians. Italy and Panama were at war during the World Wars because they stand on different sides (Allies vs. Axis) yet there was nearly no real front-combat. New locks which are being imported for the expansion of the Panama Canal are from Italy and Italy supports Panama as a growing nation.
~United Kingdom (England)~
- Anglo-Panamanian relations are old considering the English-Spanish wars costantly fought in Colonial times. In early times, Scotland wanted to colonize the lands where Panama currently stands. English pirates did constant raids back when Panama was a giant crossroad in the Spanish importing of riches and gold found from the Inca Empire. She has especially bad memory of Henry Morgan which ended up in a complete burn of Panama City. While that is there, their relations now a days healed alright and they work at good relations yet the views are staying neutral.
- While China uses the Panama Canal often (as most of the world does), many Panama offers for trade agreements have been declined by China over and over again due to Panama's friendship with Taiwan. China refused to recognize Panama as a country in early times after her independence. Constant (yet still very mild) disputes occur due to their ally-preferences. Even so, they have been growing to gain more abilities to trade and stay as positive as it gets.
- Panama was a Spanish colony for and was actually the first colony in Central America to leave Spain, one year before the Central revolution where Central America (minus Panama, who had succeeded earlier) joined the Mexican Empire. Spaniards wiped out nearly all of Panama's pre-colonial history. One of the tragedies about Panama is that there is no known native history. Spain never really focused on defense of Panama earlier than the re-build of Panama City after its burn-down. Their relations hadn't made much progress to the better.
- Colombia and Panama had close relations during Spanish times. Panama was counted as the same land as Colombia for a very long time, even during Gran Colombia. Their relations got drastically poor once Panama succeeded from Colombia with the help of the USA in 1903. Panamanians and Colombians can often be described as 'hating each other' in modern day. While Colombian influence is one of the highest on Panama, that was result of Spanish times where they were 'the same'. Panamanian independence is a giant celebration and Panama loves being a country while Colombia continues to hold a grudge. Their sisterly-friendship stopped growing long ago, yet they understand each other very well.
- Panama and Venezuela, even though being in the same union of Gran Colombia, have had increasingly poor relations just as Panama did with Colombia. Just recently they have finally cut their ties under unfriendly matters. Venezuela's Communism contrasts against Panama's democracy. Venezuela refuses strengthen their democracy. In result, they disagree very often and have distant views on many things.
~ Japan AND Germany ~
- Panama is at mutual relations with both Japan and Germany. During WW2 Japan attempted to savetage the Panama Canal (Panama Canal Buster). Germany was at good relations with Panama but after she sided with America, he broke their relations, but the Canal was kept safe with the help of America. Japan one of the biggest trade partner of hers now a days.
~Panama has many good relations, especially within the European Union and the rest of the American continents~
~More to be added~
Headcanons about Maria
Again, due to the fact that there was a lot of information, I put my headcanons about Panama in a sta.sh link >> sta.sh/029nejzevket << These apply to Maria as a person.
I keep updating this ahah. You're never done while making a good OC, hm? Well, I am pretty pleased with this update.
And I also have this now, for any physical details for people who draw her:
art © me
Panama © me
Hetalia © Himaruya Hidekaz
Flag, Map © found on google
This Image and OC is not for you to reference off, use for your own benefit nor trace or copy, please do not use! If you wish to use her for things such as comics/pictures, of course you may (if you credit me)! Thank you~
If you want the template, I did make it myself, so you can get it here --> sta.sh/0d642whysk0 Please don't remove the credit